There are times when it’s appropriate to reinstall the latest version of wordpress. This is not nearly as scary as it sounds, especially if you use the one-click install for WordPress that mosts hosts provide.
- Via FTP, rename the root folder of your website. I tend to append the folder name with .old.
- In your Control Panel, remove the now renamed installation from the installations list. Removing it from the list will not delete the files in the renamed folder from your site.
- Create a new WordPress install using the one click install system. The new directory should be the same as the .old one.
- Replace the contents of the wp-config.php file from the .old site in the new site’s wp-config file.
- Replace the wp-content folder from the .old site to the new. I usually rename the new wp-content by appending it with .fresh and then bring the old one in.